The other day K&L Wine Merchants featured wines from the northern Rhone Valley for our in store tasting. Syrah grown in cool climates are some of my all time favorite red wines, so I was very psyched to do this tasting. Below is a complete list of what we opened..
K&L Wine Merchants –San Francisco
Wines of the Northern Rhone Valley
1. 2007 A. Clape St. Peray
2. 2007 Paul Jaboulet Aîné “Les Jalets” Crozes-Hermitage Blanc
3. 2007 Pierre Gonon Saint-Joseph
4. 2007 Yves Cuilleron “L’Amarybelle” St-Joseph
5. 2006 Domaine Belle “Les Pierrelles” Crozes-Hermitage
6. 2007 Domaine Hauts Chassis “Les Chassis” Crozes-Hermitage
7. 2006 A. Clape “Renaissance” Cornas
8. 2007 Vincent Paris “La Geynale” Cornas
9. 2006 Domaine Duclaux “La Germine” Côte Rôtie
10. 2007 Guigal Condrieu
The turnout was impressive in all three locations (San Francisco, Redwood City and Hollywood) with customers really frequently commenting on how different and unique each wine tasted. Overall I think that that tasting proved to be really educational for all, including myself. I love hearing folks different descriptors. Today for instance someone got “hot dog” in one of the Crozes-Hermitage. And guess what? We all pretty much agreed, although ultimately we all decided that “smoked meat” sounded more eloquent! Check out another customers tasting note below.. which has to be one of my all time favorites. I have not quite deciphered its true meaning, however by the looks of it..quite a few smiley faces and bared teeth? I believe the notes are mostly positive!